In these days of modern dental care, more and more people are holding on to many of their natural teeth through their entire life. However circumstances have not always made this possible for everyone and at Magee Dental Care we acknowledge this by caring for those who have not been able to keep their own teeth with respect and compassion.
Dentures to Replace Missing Teeth
A denture replaces lost or missing teeth and has substantial benefits for your health and appearance. It is a removable option but should still fit snugly and comfortably. It can be either complete (full) or partial and can be made to look very natural by using the highest quality teeth and dentures bases available.
Complete and Partial Dentures
A “complete” or “full” denture will be needed if all your natural teeth are missing. A complete denture replaces your natural teeth and provides support for cheeks and lips. Full dentures are generally best made of acrylic (plastic). A “partial” denture fills in the spaces created by a few missing teeth and is attached to your natural teeth with metal clasps or devices called precision attachments. Partial dentures can also be made of acrylic or can consist of acrylic teeth on a light metal alloy base. We also offer flexible partial dentures which are cosmetically pleasing, flexible, light-weight and metal free.
You will likely need 4-5 appointments to have your dentures accurately made and fitted.
- Your dentist will take accurate impressions of your mouth to achieve the best possible denture fit. The impressions will be sent to a dental laboratory where a denture will be custom made for you.
- White coloured clasps can be used around your teeth to reduce denture movement and a clear palate can be placed into the upper denture for a better aesthetic appearance.
- Dentures can improve your appearance and the way you speak, bite and chew.
- Dentures are custom-made to match your mouth and made to look as natural as possible.
- Immediate dentures can be fitted within 24 hours after teeth have been extracted (taken out).
- Modern dentures can improve the look of your smile and help fill out the appearance of your face.
How often should you see your dentist?
Regular dental health checks and having your teeth professionally cleaned are vital for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. We usually recommend every 6-12 months but full denture wearers should consult their dentist as to frequency of visits.