Teeth whitening is one of our most popular cosmetic dental procedures. Quick, effective and relatively inexpensive, teeth whitening can be an excellent option for improving the appearance of your smile with a whiter, brighter smile, without removing any of the tooth surface.
Is Tooth Whitening Safe?
Teeth whitening will not damage your teeth or gums but you may experience some sensitivity or tingling during bleaching. Teeth whitening may not be advised if you suffer from very sensitive teeth, teeth with worn enamel or periodontal (gum) disease. Your dentist will advise you.
When teeth whitening might not work
Whitening can only lighten your existing tooth colour and only works on natural teeth. Teeth whitening does not work on any type of ‘false’ teeth eg. dentures, crowns and veneers.
There are different methods of tooth whitening available, we have carefully selected a successful, simple and professional method of lightening the existing colour of your teeth. It can also be refreshed at home at any time.
Our system is as follows:
- Your dentist will carry out a full and thorough examination of your teeth to determine if you would be suitable for our teeth whitening system.
- If suitable, impressions of your teeth will be taken to custom make soft trays for your home use. The trays are lightweight so you can wear them comfortably during the day or at night.
- Approximately 2 days later you will return to have the trays fitted. You will be given instructions on home use and receive your own patient whitening kit.
- The treatment is carried out at home and so you have the flexibility of use. This will mean applying the whitening gel regularly over 2-4 weeks for two hours at a time or overnight.
- Your dentist will want to review you after 2 weeks. It is very important to follow all the instructions and attend all follow-up appointments recommended.
- Tooth whitening is a painless and easy procedure.
- The results can be long lasting.
- With our system you also have the flexibility to top-up whenever you choose.
- It can be done overnight or 2 hours per day.
- Tooth whitening is a better option than a crown or veneer if you simply want to lighten the colour of your teeth.