Children’s Oral Health
Children’s Oral Health
From brushing their first tooth to their first trip to the dentist, a child’s oral health plays a key role in their early year’s well-being. At Magee Dental Care we are dedicated to improving the oral and dental health of children.
Treating young children is made easier if they have built up a good relationship with the dental team from an early age. We encourage you to register your child with a dentist as soon as possible and to bring your toddler to the dentist when their dentition is complete (around 2-3 years).
Easing your Child’s Fear of the Dentist
Having trust and confidence helps to minimise any fears or anxieties a child may have about going to the dentist. Parents and dentists both play an important role in making a child’s first dental appointment a positive experience.
Your role : To help your child’s dental visit go more smoothly:
- Tell your child about the visit, giving simple explanations only. The dentist can answer any complex or detailed questions.
- Please don’t tell your child that something will hurt or be painful.
- Don’t tell your child about an unpleasant dental experience that you’ve had.
- Stress how important it is to maintain healthy teeth and gums and that the dentist is a friendly doctor whose job it is to help do this.
- Please don’t bribe your child with a reward for going to the dentist.
Dentist’s role : Our dentists will do their best to ease your child’s fears, such as :
- Talking in a friendly voice. Sometimes the dentist has to be a little firm but will still be friendly.
- Using simple words to describe the procedure and answering the child’s questions in a reassuring manner.
- Demonstrating the procedure before treating your child.
- Giving praise and encouragement to reinforce good behaviour.
- Referring your child to our Oral Health Educator for guidance and instruction on how to keep teeth healthy.
Oral Health Kids Club
Bring your child along to one of our complimentary Oral Health Kids Club held regularly on Fridays from 3.30pm-4.30pm for children aged between 4-10 years. Please contact 028 38322441, email firstname.lastname@example.org or see our Facebook page for more information.
Come and Learn about:
- How to brush your teeth
- A balanced diet.
- Buddy Brush-a-lot our friendly toothy dragon